Re: [RC] De-lurking Newbie - rides2far

He's currently having either the generic "spring spookies (those
tulips do
look dangerous!)," or is bored with arenas (can't blame him - no
opportunity> to get out during the winter rains),

My theory is that if you don't give them something to be excited about,
they'll invent something. Yesterday my daughter took her 7 year old that
is *almost* ready for his first competition on his longest ever training
ride. At the beginning he was really looking out for boogers in the
woods. He's got a thing about stuff *behind* him. But instead of catering
to him we just turned the speed up a notch, including hills, and very
soon he had his mind on keeping up and *breathing* rather than looking
for other sources of excitement. :-)

I had a friend who rescued a young Arab and started him in endurance. She
went on and on about what a great little guy he was. She sold him to a
woman who put him in a stall and tried to take dressage lessons on  him.
That woman contacted me later and considered him incouragable. She was
scared of him and swore the vets & barn people assured her he was psycho
and she actually considered putting him down. Now he's owned by another
woman who has him running free in a field and the vets say they can't
believe it's the same horse. If your're having to restrict his grazing
are you able to turn him out on dry lot?

Teaching manners is great and important. But the best little kid in the
world will act up if he has no outlet to blow off steam.

Angie