Re: [RC] logbooks etc - Splitters Creek ASHS

Ed, a thoughtful post. Thank you.

Sadly as you say, like many things, the minority exhibit the behaviour that ends up ruling all. Off topic but like our coffee shop at work - there was an 'honour' basket where you could throw coins for newspapers rather than stand in a queue behind those waiting for coffee. Some turkeys started throwing batteries (that look like coins) and foreign coins into the basket - so no more basket.

Much of the earlier tightening of rules and regulations in Australia were in response to a perceived threat from organisations that sought a blanket ban on particular sports like endurance, rodeo, (doubt they could touch TB racing) as 'cruelty to animals'.  It also came about due to an active organising body that took horse deaths (during and immediately after competition) particularly seriously. I am unable to quote any statistics, but my observations of the last 20 years are that saying endurance is in Australia, a sport underpinned by horse welfare is significantly more than lip service,  and I see or hear of far fewer 'incidents' of horses being 'cooked', or novice horses and or riders being disqualified through blatant over riding / inexperience. If nothing it has served to assist educate less experienced competitors. Or deter those who unfortunately put $ before horse welfare - I'm sure we've all seen it.

I find it interesting that tightening of rules and regulations to improve horse welfare are widely resisted in the U.S. and wonder whether it is a cultural thing or just the different lobby groups or pressure that has historically been brought (or not) to bear.

Regards
Catherine.