Re: [RC] logbooks etc - Sisu West Ranch

The basic thing here is a matter of philosophy.  Some feel that "the group" (I am using "the group" to refer to the government, an organization, church, rule book etc.) knows better than the individual and that the individual can not be trusted.  If you feel that individuals can not be trusted to do what is right and best, the next logical step is to transfer the responsibility to what you feel is the appropriate "group".  This idea tends to go completely through a society.

An individual can not be trusted to care for his/her horse, so you need log books and organizational rules mandating a comprehensive series of qualifications.  A buyer of a horse can not trust his own judgment, his vet, or to judge the honesty of the seller, so he/she trusts a logbook of the horse's record.

An individual can not be trusted to know the difference between corporal punishment and child abuse, so the government bans all spanking of children.

An individual can not be trusted to only use deadly force when it is justified, so the government bans all use of deadly force, even when the individuals life is threatened.

In the USA there is still a majority, though it may be shrinking, who believe that individuals can and should be trusted to make many decisions on their own.

In the case of endurance, I am a firm believer that it does work.  Our endurance horses in general are healthy and have long careers.  I am the one who is responsible for the health of my horse.  I take this seriously.  Like most dedicated endurance riders I have pulled horses that were cleared to go on.

There is nothing to prevent an individual of doing exactly what I have done since 1990.  I keep my own personal log book with the story of each ride.  I record the horse, the weather, a description of the trail, my time, and any significant horse health issues.  I do not keep ride cards because most of the information is not significant. For example, one vets A- gut sounds may be the same as another's B.  If there is a pull, I will find out exactly what happened and write this down, much more informative than a scribbled C or D or just "pull-lame".

Ed

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875