[RC] laying horses down - starhaven@xxxxxxxxxxx

good comments on laying horses down. I have felt it is a lost art that needed to resurface.

I'm not sure who said made the comment about horses being food, but that is exactly right, they will be fearful and uncomfortable with it at first. We had one filly we did this with last fall, she was just being a witch about her feet, I'm too old and am not going to coddle her about it. We found a nice grass spot and down she went, about five times until she knew it was coming, foot goes up head turns, down she would go. Now this filly has been a bit more of a challenge at times than our others, strong willed. And this was really the first horse I had done this with in decades. So you can imagine my surprise, and joy when the last time we cued to her get up, she sat up enough to eat grass and look at us. In 15 mins we took a her busy little mind from "what can I do to you next", to....do you mind if I have a few bites of grass since it's so close and I'm so comfortable.

Leah

www.hungarianhorse.com

Starhaven Farm
www.hungarianhorse.com