Re: [RC] laying horses down - April Allison

Just thought I would mention that having a horse lay down on command so that a disabled rider can reach something or climb on so the  horse can stand up under them is different than throwing a horse to put it in a submissive position. In the one, the horse goes down on its own as the end result of lots of training and trust of the people involved.  The other , is used as a training tool to teach the horse that you can do what ever you want to it, whenever you want to. There is a time and place for each, just like there is a valid time to beat the tar out of your horse (biting) as long as you don't hit him in the head.
I am a bigger fan of clicker training than I am of throwing. If you can get the same or better results with less trama to the horse and risk of injury to people, I'm for that.

don't get any money from any of them  :o)
april
byhalia