[RC] Trailering/unloading question - heidi larson

My gelding hopped right into my new slant load with the rear tack, but he's terrified to get out.  I always have backed him out, I think it's safer.  I've seen horses leap for the ground and their feet either slip on the trailer mats or on the ground they are landing on.  Scary.  So, today he got in but totally flung himself out 3 times.  Then we rode, came back and I just asked for him to get halfway in, stand there and RELAX, which he actually kind of did.  (Did I mention he gets scared easily?)  Then I asked for him to step all the way up, but not in more than his body length and then asked for him to back up, he still pretty much flung himself out, (I will be wearing a helmet for this procedure from now on)  Any suggestions on making this less stressful on him? Maybe collapse the tack room and make the opening larger so he can worry about one thing at a time?  (The step up is higher than our other trailer, so the step-down is troublesome to him.)  I just don't want him to think he can turn and jump out.

heidi