Re: [RC] pet peeves and drafting - DESERTRYDR1

If I recall, the main part of the pet peeve originally was not that someone was drafting,  but that they proceeded to tell the poster how to ride her own horse.

In my case, my mare can be a real witch with other horses, and so I usually tell people when they get close that she may kick, and I always have a red ribbon in her tail.  It's been a while since she has actually kicked at another horse under saddle, but I don't want to take any risks with someone else and their horse.  Since it's a safety matter, most people seem to understand.

And if politely explaining my mare's quirk doesn't work, I tell them the gory story of the gal who rode too close to my girlfriend's mare at a ride and got kicked--shattered her leg, and I don't think she rode for a long time afterward, if ever.

We're really a friendly bunch when you get to know us.  But everybody is different, and each horse is different.  Sometimes I or my horse just want us to be alone.  jeri