Re: [RC] pet peeve - Barbara McCrary

I can remember a couple of others:  One rider's horse on our 100-miler fell into a fairly deep hole (washout) in the dark.  The next rider tossed him a flashlight and just kept right on going.  Sheesh!  And another...I was mounted on a perfectly awful horse who quit every time he confronted a hill of any sort.  It was on Tevis one year and by the time I reached the American River, my horse flat-out refused to walk up the hill after the crossing.  I dismounted and was sitting by the edge of the trail resting and wondering what to do next.  Three riders came along, rode practically over the top of me, never asked if I or the horse were OK, never asked if I needed anything, actually never even acknowledged me at all...never said a word to me.  That still takes the prize for inconsiderate behavior, in my book.

Barbara

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2006 12:46 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] pet peeve

I one a little bit better.  At a ride many, many moons ago....there was a creek accident, a woman's horse was stuck and drowning.   A man was off, holding this horse's head out of the water.  They needed a rope/line of some kind to try and pull this horse out.  I rode up, and took the reins off my horse and held his bridle while they used the reins to get the horse out.  In the meantime, the rest of this front bunch group rode off....leaving us to save the horse, and me get my reins back.  We were ALL riding for a win that day.  So, here I am stuck until my reins are returned.   The horse was saved, my reins returned and off I went.  I did win that day....and got BC.  So, I suppose the good sport gods smiled on me that day.  :))

Barbara McCrary <bigcreekranch@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Probably one of the absolutely rudest tricks pulled in competition relates to gates.  The first rider stops, dismounts to open the gate, and when the others have gone through, they take off and leave the gate opener with the responsibility of closing it again.  BOOO! HISSS!

Barbara