Re: [RC] Drafting and pet peeves - sheesh - heidi larson

Don't worry too much Karen, these instances are really fairly rare IMO and generally speaking most endurance riders are kind, gracious and helpful to the N'th degree.  There are usually a few that you can tick off w/o even knowing you're doing something wrong, but just try to keep your horse under control, be friendly, ask questions if you're unsure and keep a smile on your face and the number one best thing you can do is compliment someone on their horse.  I've noticed it's the #1 best ice breaker. My personal goal at rides the past 2 years is to meet one new person and make a new friend at every ride.  So far I've met that goal 10 fold!!

heidi

Karen Everhart <rainbowmeadowsranch@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Yea Kassandra..... great comment!!

I am a seasoned NATRC competitor, seriously interested in completing Tevis in the next 1-2 years.  As a result I want to participate in some 50's, 75's and 100's under AERC rules.  So, I  recently joined this list.  The discussion regarding drafting and pet peeves has been a bit discouraging.  I know there are highly competitive riders everywhere but when did good old-fashioned politeness and general camaraderie disappear?  I have always operated under the motto that "I will help if needed and hope that I will be helped when necessary".  From some of the comments in this recent thread, I am rethinking my desire to participate where folks are going to be angry if I ride too close (didn't even think about the possibility of drafting) or, if they are down and opening a gate, that I might fail to recognize that I need to ......get off too, take the gate, and hold it as the "opener" mounts and rides off.

Come on folks, lighten up!!  If you need a pet peeve or need to be angry, get upset about something that means something.  There are JERKS everywhere but don't assume that because I "draft" or fail to dismount at the gate you have graciously opened means that I am taking advantage of you.  I would never even consider trying to take advantage.  Trust me!!

In my opinion, having the opportunity to ride magnificent creatures in fabulous settings (which are rapidly disappearing) should be reason enough to feel blessed.  We certainly do not need to be looking for reasons to be upset or unhappy.

I really want to participate in AERC rides ....... so help me feel that I am not going to have to walk on egg shells to avoid hitting a nerve.

Karen Everhart MEd.
President- Rainbow Meadows Equine Rescue and Retirement, Inc.
email: President@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.rainbowmeadowsranch.com

Owner/Operator Horse Calls LLC
Training, Centered Riding Lessons
CTR and Endurance Conditioning and Training
email: HorseCalls@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.horsecalls.com

620-725-3402
316-648-5082
 Now I?ll think twice and ask ?permission?.  I was surprised that so many people resent it.  I thought the whole point of endurance rides was to see knew scenery and meet new people??
irrating thing to me is not only to have someone start tagging along but then begin to tell you how to ride your own ride!