Re: [RC] Drafting - any gain? - Barbara McCrary

Lud had a horse that effectively controlled horses that tried to pass him...he would pin his ears and sneer at any horse that tried that.  Another trick of his was to weave back and forth across the trail to cut them off.  This was the horse's technique, not Lud's.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2006 11:41 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] Drafting - any gain?

Louise Reidel was one of the most artful trail blockers around.  She always wanted to be first in a group into a CTR vet check, because you end up with a lot less standing around.  If you came up behind her a few miles from the check, she would "loose control" of the "Bitch Mare:" (her words not mine), and it would wander back and forth on the trail effectively blocking it.  Because placing in CTR does not hinge on order of arrival, I always found it amusing.

I am told that she also "lost control" of her horses in a similar manner on endurance rides when she was younger.

Ed

PS.  I liked Louise a lot and we got along good.  I think most Midwest riders, at least as she got older, just considered this to be an eccentricity earned by her stellar record and age.

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

(406) 642-9640