RE: [RC] bad horse at vet-in - Jim Holland

Ahem....no offense folks, but you control a horse with what's between his
EARS, not what is on his nose or in his mouth. IMHO, the misbehaving at vet
checks is an indication that you have not spent enough time working on
ground manners...i.e. giving to pressure, staying out of your space, etc.  A
chain over his nose or a riding crop is a crutch....get back to basics.
This is a "who's in charge" problem.

However, I will admit that "acceptable" behavior means different things to
different people. <sigh>

Some years ago at my first Old Dominion ride, I was standing in line with a
lady whose horse was doing laps around her, stepping on her feet, constantly
hollering, yanking on the lead, etc. After the check, (where he ran all over
the vet as well), I said "Bring him by my trailer and I will fix that. Don't
know about anywhere else, but he WILL stand quietly under lead if you will
give me 30 minutes to train him and show you how to do it". Surprisingly,
she showed up, with her horse leading her. :) Twenty minutes later, we were
having a glass of wine and her horse was standing quietly on a slack rein.
What did I do?  Twenty minutes of  "Article 2" at www.seraoline.org. Some of
"Article 8" wouldn't hurt either.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic

Richard T. "Jim" Holland