[RC] bad horse at vet-in - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Lauretta tikitiki69@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I agree with Truman.  I have a stallion, and use a chain over the
nose at the vet-in.  Even if your horse is behaving initially,
there could be another horse close to yours that is not, and your
horse may then react off of this.  I have rarely had to actually
discipline him, but when I have it has only taken a few seconds
to bring him back to attention, and he quickly gets the message
that there will be no bad manners allowed.  There is a lot of
excitement sometimes with other strange horses around, and it is
better to have it and not need it, than need it and you have
nothing to stop a potential problem. If your horse is acting up
enough that you are getting concerned, having something to help
you out is a good thing.  Better to put a stop to it before it
gets out of control.  There are too many people and horses in a
ridecamp, especially if there is a line waiting to vet-in, that
can get hurt due to a horse that is not behaving.  Sometimes, it
also helps to walk them around the camp once or twice when they
get there, so they get some of the excitement out of their system.

Lauretta and Shaba (who tries to be good, but can sometimes get a
little excited)