Re: [RC] Riding alone... - Barbara McCrary

We live well out in the countryside and our trails are quite remote from civilization.  Cell phones do not work in most places, so I don't bother to carry one.  HOWEVER, I never ride without either calling my husband or leaving a note on the kitchen table (the family communications center.)  I note departure time and the route.  We have landmark names for every section of trail that connects to another section, so I indicate which section I started on, to another section, to another, etc. until I indicate the route back to the house.  That way he will know about how long it should have taken, and if I am not at home by the time he is home from work, he knows where to start looking for me.  He's a good tracker, so he can tell which way I was moving and whether the tracks were recent or not.  I call him when I have arrived home, so he knows that, too.  It gives us both a great sense of security and shows we care enough to be watchful of each other's safety.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 3:59 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] Riding alone...

The only reason I will ride alone is to teach a young horse to focus on me and not another horse.  For safety reasons, I will go out with 2 or 3 other riders but ride away from them for a while and come back to them.  I'm not scared to ride alone (at least not with a good shot of vodka in me) but I just don't feel it's a very safe thing to do.  If something happens and I'm laying in the middle of the trail unresponsive, someone would have to "come upon" me.  My horses tend to stay with me (which is a good thing) instead of running off to the barn or trailer or somewhere else.  Problem with that is no one would know I was in trouble until they found me which could be hours or not at all.  My husband REALLY does not want me to ride alone for those reasons.  If I do go out alone I call to check in at certain times so he knows I'm okay.

Stacy