RE: [RC] securing horses ! - heidi

IME, one of the other major benefits of using hobbling as a foundation for
teaching peaceful, long-term tying is that should a tangling emergency arise
the horse just relaxes into it and stands quietly. Please note that I
prefaced this statement by saying that this has been my experience with our
horses...very hotbolooded, sensitive horses. It doesn't seem to matter
whether it is a front or rear leg situation for some reason, but our horses
just stand there or quietly work it out. Oh, one caveat that I did not
mention is that I only begin the hobble breaking process on horses that are
at least 24 months old. I consider the bones to be too soft on horses less
than 24 months to mess with in any way.

I meant to reply to Dennis's earlier post on hobbling--just wanted to
say that Dennis is right on the mark about this.  Hobbling is a
wonderful education for horses, and really is something from which all
endurance horses would benefit.  Not only does it teach horses to be
quiet when tied, and to not fret if they should become tangled, but it
can also save your neck out on the trail.  I've had the experience of
riding into wire hidden in grass three or four different times, but
always on horses broke to hobble--and they just stop.

I'd definitely second Dennis's recommendation about hobble training as
part of the basic foundation.  Far too many endurance horses are highly
conditioned, but really not "trained" much at all.

Heidi