[RC] [RC] pics of my favorite training hill/CA native grass - Sherman

In the foothills near Auburn & Grass Valley, CA, there is a type of perrenial grass that grows in bunches, has tubers, is very tall (seen it up to 4'), resembles timothy but is not, can't get it to start from seed, will green up with the slightest bit of of moisture. It makes me ill when I see neighbors scraping or spraying  their fields, it doesn't come back if you kill the roots, but horses being grazed on it doesn't seem to bother the roots at all and the horses love it. I've tried many times to plant bunches of it in my pasture, without success.Any idea what it is?

Kathy
Grass Valley, CA

Barbara wrote:

 *Just a side note; most of Calif. native grasslands (perennial bunch =
grasses) is gone, replaced by European annuals...