RE: [RC] Feeding round bales - Libby & Quentin Llop DVM

I've been making round bales and feeding them to horses since 1979. We usually winter around 40 horses and some years I have fed over 125 more horses with the hay I've sold. My baler makes 1200-1500 lb. bales. I figure one bale will last 6 horses one week. A round bale feeder will pay for itself in less than one season. You can afford to buy a new one when it gets banged up. I always store the horse hay inside. I stack 3 high. Anything musty or rotten on the bottom goes to the sheep. I try to limit the groups to 6 per bale. Horses have hay in front of them 24/7. If you feed round bales that are stored outside, you may not notice any problems right away but your horses will die young from lung disease. If you can't keep them inside, bale sleeves are economical and work well. The bigger the bale the less hay (% wise) is lost to spoilage if the bale is rained on. Be careful handling them. Round bales are the #1 cause of fatal farm accidents in the US.   Libby (a survivor)
-----Original Message-----
From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Amber Roberts
Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2006 4:30 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Feeding round bales

We have always fed square bales to our horses but will be round baling our own fields.  I'm wondering if we should just start feeding round bales in one of those feeders, not just on the ground.  I'm concerned about storage, too, as we store square bales in our barn but would not be able to get round bales inside the barn.  Any comments on this?

Amber