Re: [RC] [RC] a question to those of you who ride barefoot horses - Marta Kozlowska

karen,
what do you seal w/ the plumber's putty?
i think my epics have the old gaitor (is there a way to tell for sure?)
also, since i'll have to get a 2nd pair for the hind, do you recommend bares over epics? i assume there wouldn't be a problem using two differenty types of boots, right?
your website is incredibly helpful. thanks!
marta

On 4/18/06, Dream Weaver <nvrider@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>so todd,
>i gather since you wrap, you put the boots on before the start of the ride
>and leave them on until the end.
>do you use boots on all 4's the way karen does? i've never used boots on he=
>back hooves, but then again, i never really trotted around a very rocky
>trail.
>getting the wraps wet doesn't pose a problem, does it?
>did you cut your gaitors down the way karen's website shows them cut? i
>wonder if i should do that in advance or wait and see if kipper is irritate=
>by that.
>thanks for the link!
>marta

Hi Marta -- I need to make some updates to my
website:  http://members.tripod.com/ridephotos/  I'll do that in the
next few days so check back!

If you haven't used four boots before, then you should start getting
your horse used to having four boots on in case you need them at the
ride.  You may not need them but if you do you'll be glad that you
prepared your horse.  Some horses adapt right away to having four
boots on and others may take more time.  Don't wait until your horse
is sore from the rocks before putting boots on -- put them on first
then if you find the trail is really good footing then you can take
them off.  Remember that a lot of times a horse might not show
soreness until the next day.

If you are using boots with the newer gaiters (they have a softer
rolled edge) then you may not need to use any wrap at all.  I have
not been and have done quite a few rides that way and am not
experiencing any rubbing problems with three different horses.  If
you do start to notice a rub though, you can prevent it from getting
worse by using vetwrap.  Make sure you put three or four wraps around
the pastern area and if it's going to be a long ride or an endurance
ride I would recommend wrapping like I show in the photos and videos
I have at the above link -- be sure to wrap high up enough so that if
the wrap settles down it won't go underneath the top edge of the gaiter.

I have not experienced any problems from the gaiters getting wet.  My
three horses have done close to 3000 miles in the boots and believe
me, we have gotten wet a few times -- and muddy -- and it's not been
a problem.  Still though, be sure to undo the gaiters and check at
each vetcheck, at least one foot to be sure.

You can put the boots on the night before.  Don't tighten the gaiter
yet though, just adjust it loosely and then remember in the morning
to tighten it up.  If you are using regular Epics you can put the
buckle down but don't do that tight either, you can adjust it in the
morning when you do the gaiter.  If you are using Bares you don't
need to worry about any adjustments.

I've been using plumbers putty which we get at the local hardware
store.  It come on a roll and I pull off a piece of it and put it in
between the top edge of the boots and the hoof and shove it in there
to make a seal.  That has been working really well, it's quick and
easy to use.

Karen
in NV

--
god created women so his horses would survive