[RC] horsekeeping, slaughter, dangerous dogs - smuncy

     Bruce,           Very well said -  digest 3.3737....( for all of text) ;  " In this discussion about disposing of aging horses, I would hope we give some thought to that before we even first take possession of a horse."
  as I am facing making a difficult descision about an older horse I have.( not that old, but terribly arthritic - he has to fall -  to lay down; and and has trouble getting around, even at a walk) - and other horses are trying to keep him away from feed/ hay  the  past couple months,especially,  - adequate piles of hay are put out; and I protect him to eat his grain;  but I can tell  that ' in the wild'  situation; they would have made it so , he would have not have survived the winter - even though a mild winter. He has lost about 100+ lbs past couple months. Did so past winter also, but 'harder"  winter then. Have found this discussion 'interesting' to say the least,,  Requardless, I  have to say - I think horse slaughter does have its' place....  and there have been better transport laws inacted, and as for "kill pens". - a necessary 'evil' --   would prefer an animal 'go for slaughter' - than the slow death of neglect, and abuse.( No, my horses are not neglected...or abused. Thinking of those that owners think 'to keep hanging on to' - barely feeding, no vet care, etc,.... because of ignorance, or can not afford, either/or both, and out of ignorance keep horses.) Yes, a vets'  visits, euthanasia - and 'disposal' - either by 'pick-up by renderers'   or burial = expensive. - but, I figure, I owe him 'that' much. We learned together - he has been a pasture ornament ( 4 legged hay burner; for past 10 yrs+, but before - taught me 'to ride' - a QH, had 'to ride', at times,  and taught me humility ( ask about 'that poem' ?) - he could be boss, sometimes; as strong willed/opinionated  - or more so , than any arab - or mare - - swear, he is half mule/ and 'studdish' - would have made a great 'teaser'.(seriously). and  could do arab -teleport 'thing'. ( thank gooodness, Lyric, did not know that trick. and hope new  horse, does not know either./ and other arab I have - Trapper, can not do 'it'  as well. )    Figure make decision tomorrow.
   Dangerous dogs -  face horse to dogs, ( yell, at dogs "to go home!  NO ")...  - at least you and horse can see what is comming, if they(dogs) do not turn and run off, ...you know where they are.. - If actually 'feral' dogs' - shoot??. In most ? states, owner is responsible for any damages ---especially, if dog off  their property. Swear,, I am no expert, but, even if dog in "prey mode"... when faced with something as big as a horse and a yelling person, acting aggressively;  can not  think of many that will continue attack - they are not stupid.- * but do not turn your  back on them.!  and, Do NOT RUN!  do not make it into 'prey' mode situation . Most states have laws- that if a dog is harrassing livestock - it's shoot first, ask who owner is after....??    If continued problem just certain dogs, and know owner, I would say something to them - they may be ignorant to  fact that their dogs are a 'problem'. Let animal control in area know of   'problem'. After that,.... take whatever steps necessary to ensure  your safety.Stephanie M