[RC] dogs and horses - Amber B Fort

I have been reading about all the dog/horse clashes.  I have a little story to share.

When I was around 13 years old, I inherited a blackmouth cur/pit/mastiff mix,named Jessie from my SIL.  He 'hated' my brother and tried to bite him once.  My brother being the redneck that he was, said the dog goes or he dies.  Luckily, at the time my Dad had just had a stainless steel prop stolen off of his bass boat in the yard, parked under their bed room window. (reason for allowing the dog).

Jesse was about 60 pounds and looked like a typical red brown cur dog, black mouth and eyeliner.  LOVED to fight and well you know what else male dogs like to do!  Anyway, He was kept on a chain (tied near the boat) and allowed off to go with me horseback riding, and that was nearly everyday.

We had to drive over a river to get to where my horse was kept (at my Aunts house, we lived in town).  He absolutely LOVED my horse and we (all three) rode the country side.  Once, Jessie got kicked (a good rib kick) for tailing to close to my horse.  I think he must have surprised the horse as once several tags where on the dog collar (making noise).  He never kicked at Jessie again.

Of course, roaming the country side, one comes across other country dogs roaming about.  Jessie wouldn't pick a fight, but if they came with in 20 feet of me and the horse, all bets were off.  Never had a problem with dogs even attempting to approach us after Jessie became part of the team.

One time, Jessie bailed out of the truck at the post office (parked) and was gone for several hours.  My cousin called to say we had left the dog at their house and he was out in the pasture with my horse.  Jessie had swam across the river to get to the horse (we hadn't been riding in a week or so).  I went to pick him up (I was driving by then) and he was soaked.  The river is about 400-500 feet across and you had to drive across a drawbridge then.

My current dogs have been around horses, however, I only have one that I leave loose.  I would love to have another Jessie dog.

Amber & David Fort
Knight Hawk Ranch
"Performance with out parameters"
Home to the Black Arabian stallions:
Kaysa Jerry (72% CMK)
Black Streak (Pure Polish)
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=