Re: [RC] dog attacks - LAWRENCEC BENNASCONI

 Pit bulls have two problems. First, it seems as though many who are the type of person that should not own any dog, is the type that buy pit bulls. They are trying to present a certain type of image, and the pit bull goes along with that. Second problem, all the overbreeding and breeding by people just trying to make a few bucks breeding their dog. I have seen many pit bulls that do not even look like bulls, and I have noticed (in my opinion) that this poor type of pit is the one that is usually shown on the news after it has attacked some one.
 I have owned a pit. When I was a child, my father bought him as a guard dog for our business. Flash's sire was a UKC purple ribbon champion, and he was very well bred. Yes, he did like to fight our other dogs, but no injuries ever resulted from either side, more like a rough game of wrestling.  When we closed the business a year later, we gave him to my grandfather, since we lived in a sub division and didn't want any problems with the neighbors. Flash had the run of his land, and soon figured out that the copperheads rattlesnakes and water mochasins were dangerous. He "hunted" them. You would wake up to find several dead on the back porch. He never harmed any livestock, if you went walking in the woods, his nose was too the ground, making sure you would never walk up on a snake. You could point to any child and tell him "flash!, go babysit" He would endure ear and tail pulling, tail wagging the whole time, if the child tried to go near the road or the lake, he would step in between and block their way.  He only went after a person once, when my uncle was kicking at him while flash was stretched out sleeping in the shade, but flash didn't move. He them pulled back his foot to kick at my grandpa. Bad move! My grandpa caught Flash in the middle of his jump, he wasn't jumping with his mouth open, more like he was going to hit him square in the chest and knock him flat on his back. If I could find another pit like Flash, would I own one??? In a minute I would.
----- Original Message -----
From: Amy
Sent: Friday, April 14, 2006 5:36 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] dog attacks

Stories about some true hero pit bulls who never would have thought of
attacking a horse.
http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/pospress.html
Be sure to read Weela's story and how she saved thirteen horses.

They can be a truly amazing breed with the right owner and the right
genetics.  I believe we could breed the fight out of them with very
selective breeding and I sure wish the breeders would do that.
Unfortunately, they attract a bad crowd full of idiot owners and breeders
(lots of good ones too, but...) who just don't get it.  Gonna be even
scarier when presas and breeds like that which have been bred for human
aggression, become the new dog of choice.

Amy