Re: [RC] dog attacks - Sisu West Ranch

Guaranteed real mean fighting dogs, like Pit Bulls bred for fighting, are a different thing. Normal dogs when they fight will, when defeated, roll over on their back. The other normal dog, having established his/her dominance will then back off. This response is necessary to prevent the wild members of the genus Canis from killing each other and thus going extinct.

Now, when people wanted to have dogs fight each other for the enjoyment of sadistic, perverted humans (flame away if you think dog fights are a cool sport) had to breed this surrender response out of dogs. They didn't think a 20 second fight and surrender was fun. Many Pit Bulls and their close relatives still have this problem. That is why they show up so much in dog mauling news stories. (Some stories, attempt to apologies for them by stating that the total number of attacks by certain other large breeds exceed the total number of Pit Bull attacks each year. This is a case of fuzzy thinking. The other breeds have much larger numbers in this country, and are often identified as the breed of lots of mixed breed dogs)

I specifically used the term "Guaranteed real mean fighting dogs", because not all dogs that look like them are dangerous. My problem is that I can't tell them apart, but don't want to get into arguments with any breeders of the other breeds that look like them, but may or may not be dangerous under certain circumstances.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875