Re: [RC] dog attacks/prey drive - Jackie Causgrove

I've trained service dogs (more commonly known as police dogs) and schutzhund.

The problem here is that if a dog is truely in prey mode, water isn't going to deter the dog.
And please do not be fooled by breed specifics.  Pit bulls looking dogs are lumped together.  However, there are many breeds that look similar to a pit bull and are not.  Further, there is an increased amount of aggression in other breeds not associated with animal/human aggression (labs being one of them>  ie due to popularity and poor breeding).

The inherent problem here is that one will not have time to tease out whether a dog is being protective vs aggressive and/or how far aggressive will the dog go.  Is the dog truely in prey mode?

For almost any circumstances, making a stance back at the dog will probably work.  Yelling (like you are really mad at your teenager), throwing rocks, hitting with a crop etc.  However, if the dog is truely in a prey drive, those will incite the drive further.  Again, if the dog is truely in prey drive and you turn your horse to charge it, you will be inciting the prey drive further in that dog.  So, there's the problem.

Certainly start with yelling and that doesn't work, the water/ammonia spray often will.  But keep in mind, the tactics to scare off the dog will probably scare your horse as well.
Flares work well.  Flares will even scare bears (I live in Alaska and have worked in remote sites that were bear camps).
I liked the slingshot idea but you have to be accurate.  Other than that, you down to a pellet gun type of thing and I don't know what the laws are regarding that.  However, if it's a semi feral dog, there's no one to complain about it....  But be sure to check into the local ordinacnes first.  And be accurate as well.

I believe that if livestock is being harrassed/threatened by a dog, thet owner of that livestock has the right to protect his/her livestock in a manner that is appropriate.

Jackie