Re: [RC] seeping bumps from allergies - Tiffany D'Virgilio

My mare developed an allergy to shavings. She can only tolerate a few kinds. She developed an oozing rash that swelled and crusted and dripped. She had to be treated with steroids and antihistamines. I had a friend whose horse crusted up and sloughed his skin after I unknowingly rode him in a neoprene girth. I keep a close eye on my mare and her skin. She's been in the barn for two months due to the constant rain turning my arena to foot deep muck, and she gets itchy when spring hits. She has sarcoids on her neck that flare up when she scratches her neck on the barn door, so she usually gets an antihistamine during the springtime. I've got one mare with a slight suspensory so she can't be out in the mud, and they are unhappy separated so I'm forced to stall them. I can't wait for a sunny stretch.
Tiffany