[Fwd: Re: [RC] weight gain after events] - Keith Kibler

--- Begin Message --- Susan,
The first time I did an ultra bike event I rode 563 miles in 6 1/2 days. I gained 2 lbs.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Keith
Please dont suggest it was muscle
:-}
Susan wrote:

Good! At least I'm not the only one.
Your hypothesis correlates with mine. I have no sceientific evidence but don't really need any. It's rather frustrating to me that an overweight person can't lose weight doing an extreme endurance sport but can lose weight and get in better condition by doing a 30-minute aerobic session.
Hummm...I do know that staying within your target heart rate range is all you need to do to reap the benefits of the workout. Staying at the max heart rate, or even going above it, adds nothing to the workout and can even hinder your fitness. So, thinking about this, I wonder if conditioning and weight loss are acheived while doing shorter workouts more often. The extreme sports are just something fun we can do because we're in condition to do it. Does that make any sense?
I also compete in race walks. It's rather funny...they don't scare me because they are so short...5K, 10K, 20K. HA! I have a friend wanting me to enter the 160K races...but I think we need to just chill there! LOL
Anyway, thanks for your input. This topic is interesting and I think of benefit to many riders.

*/Keith Kibler <skkibler@xxxxxxxxxxx>/* wrote:

    My experiance is that I have competed at various types of rather
    extreme endurance sports. Marathons, Triathlon, Ironman triathlons
    (141 miles) and several 500 mile bike events.
    My experiance is similar to yours. My best semi educated guess is
    that
    you initially lose weight mostly but not exclusively due to
    dehydration
    . You then have the gain a little bit due to eating but mostly due
    to a combination of rehydration and also the body seems to go into a
    defense mode when you beat it up. It stores nutrients and retains
    fluid. I dont understand the exact metabolic reason for it but I have
    seen it happen repeatedly.
    Keith

Susan [Young], The Princess of Pink Semper Obliquo (Always aside)

Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.

"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles, and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)

--- End Message ---