Re: [RC] Keeping cool - Jody Rogers-Buttram

I think it has to do with WHERE you live.  In the south....there is almost NO evaporation because of the humidity...therefore little to no cooling.  That long mane might work somewhere in a dry region.  You won't see any rednecks here wrapped up like mummys....but you for sure see them nearly naked.

As for riding faster thru the sun, Joe Long told me that many, many moons ago.  See Joe, I did remember.  And yes, I have put that to use on the trails.

Tracey Lomax <bandipops@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Kat?s post about long manes being cooler got me thinking and I mentioned it to my genius fiancée.  He pointed out that in desert regions, people cover up, they don?t strip off, because clothes slow down evaporation, and therefore stop dehydration.
Could this be a factor?
I?m also wondering whether the length of the mane is a factor?someone mentioned that her horse sweats more under the mane, while Kat?s sweat less.
I?m a big one for roaching a mane (but then I don?t do endurance) because I just think it looks pretty cool (esp on my TB boys with their big necks).  I just use a pair of scissors and hack?..
Tracey