Re: Re: [RC] No Frills 30/55 and Annual Tractor Pull - hrsldylory

Jen,
You described the weekend to a "T"!
Lory

From: "steelsidedown" <Steelsidedown@xxxxxxx>
Date: 2006/04/09 Sun PM 01:06:07 EDT
To: "Ridecamp" <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RC]   No Frills 30/55 and Annual Tractor Pull

Was a blast!

Weather was gorgeous for setting up camp Friday afternoon. Camp was great,
well organized, plenty volunteers to steer you in the right direction.

Weather continued to hold for dinner which was to die for!  Salad, Roast
Pork+ Beef w/ gravy+onions, two vegetarian soups, baked potatoes w/ all the
fixins, loads of yummy baked goodies for dessert.  Ahh once again no weight
lost this weekend.....

Ride meeting was following dinner.  We almost got thru the whole meeting, but
alas the thunderstorm broke.  Art King we think the world of ya, but not
standing in an open field during a thunderstorm to hear the rest of the
parameters!  Apologies!

OK guys, no sweetening up this part of the story! It poured for hours!
Horses were comfy in their blankies.  Riders went to bed early to the pitter
pat of rain on metal roofs.  It was actually much more peaceful than most
rides, no screaming horses, no giggling, just good snoozing weather for all!

Woke up to light sprinkles and 60'.  Got overdressed for the weather and rode
off.  Our group included, an experienced pair, brand new horse to endurance
w/ experienced rider, and a brand new horse and rider to endurance.  High
hopes for 3 completions in the 30.

Trail has changed, and much for the better (it was great before).  There were
more woods trails, and less fire road, more water crossings. Oh! don't worry
the "hill to heaven" is still there, only this time you get to climb it!
(for those who haven't ridden it; this hill goes up for like ever, you get to
the top out of breath, on a horse and in the clouds - literally -- it must be
heaven!)   Everything was marked very well, mile markers at the end where you
really need the encouragement!

Vet Check to die for!  Again this ride is a little different, crewing is done
entirely by volunteers. (due to Forestry Service restrictions personal crews
aren't able to drive to the vet check).  Which means everybody gets crew!
Tons of yummy hay + grain provided, water provided, and ride management
hauling any additions you'd like.  We packed e'lytes and rump rugs on our
saddles, and got totally spoiled with everything else provided!  (did a
mention yummy people food, drinks, HOT TEA also done by management?! -- Again
no weight lost this weekend)

Ok it did rain all day, it did get chilly, we did get cranky.  We kept
getting distracted by the beautiful trails, and the horses doing so well.
Before we knew it there was a mile to go sign, then 1/2, then the vet check
at the finish -- we all completed!  Rain and wet was forgotten.

And now for the tractor pull.........  For those who don't know there is an
odd meteorological condition that occurs at nearly every No Frills ride, no
matter where or when it seems to follow the ride.  Its not El Nino or La
Nina, but what I like to call El Slicko Muddo.  This occurence can happen
with only the slightest mist at a No Frills ride, sometimes it has happened
with no rain at all during out actual time at the ride.  Side effects of El
Slicko Muddo include:  trucks hooked to heavy trailers loaded with insane
amounts of gear at the bottom of an incline, gate at the top of said incline,
one small volunteered tractor enroute to help, wet exhausted riders charging
the hill at full speed in said trucks and not making it to the top, pitiful
wet exhausted pit crews walking horses to top of said incline waiting for
trucks.

Sound awful? Nah its great fun!  We sat at mid-hill heater blasting, hot tea
in hand, watching the insanity unfold.  Actually, Jon Crandell was quite the
professional, methodically pulling each rig to the top unhooking and going to
the next, what a sport!  Finally it looked clear for my turn, horses left on
foot for the top with another rider.  I started up the beastie truck, and
drove to the top of the hill -- OK what is all the drama for?  That was NO
problem.  I must confess I have a huge truck and tiny light trailer, which
makes it much easier.

We had a blast during the ride and during the tractor pull.  Thanks to the
hoards of volunteers, and Kate the manager, and the Crandell family who let
us crash at their place for the weekend!

Jen