Re: [RC] No Frills 30/55 and Annual Tractor Pull - steelsidedown

Was a blast!

Weather was gorgeous for setting up camp Friday afternoon. Camp was great, well organized, plenty volunteers to steer you in the right direction.

Weather continued to hold for dinner which was to die for!  Salad, Roast Pork+ Beef w/ gravy+onions, two vegetarian soups, baked potatoes w/ all the fixins, loads of yummy baked goodies for dessert.  Ahh once again no weight lost this weekend.....

Ride meeting was following dinner.  We almost got thru the whole meeting, but alas the thunderstorm broke.  Art King we think the world of ya, but not standing in an open field during a thunderstorm to hear the rest of the parameters!  Apologies!

OK guys, no sweetening up this part of the story! It poured for hours!  Horses were comfy in their blankies.  Riders went to bed early to the pitter pat of rain on metal roofs.  It was actually much more peaceful than most rides, no screaming horses, no giggling, just good snoozing weather for all!

Woke up to light sprinkles and 60'.  Got overdressed for the weather and rode off.  Our group included, an experienced pair, brand new horse to endurance w/ experienced rider, and a brand new horse and rider to endurance.  High hopes for 3 completions in the 30.

Trail has changed, and much for the better (it was great before).  There were more woods trails, and less fire road, more water crossings. Oh! don't worry the "hill to heaven" is still there, only this time you get to climb it!  (for those who haven't ridden it; this hill goes up for like ever, you get to the top out of breath, on a horse and in the clouds - literally -- it must be heaven!)   Everything was marked very well, mile markers at the end where you really need the encouragement!

Vet Check to die for!  Again this ride is a little different, crewing is done entirely by volunteers. (due to Forestry Service restrictions personal crews aren't able to drive to the vet check).  Which means everybody gets crew!  Tons of yummy hay + grain provided, water provided, and ride management hauling any additions you'd like.  We packed e'lytes and rump rugs on our saddles, and got totally spoiled with everything else provided!  (did a mention yummy people food, drinks, HOT TEA also done by management?! -- Again no weight lost this weekend)

Ok it did rain all day, it did get chilly, we did get cranky.  We kept getting distracted by the beautiful trails, and the horses doing so well.  Before we knew it there was a mile to go sign, then 1/2, then the vet check at the finish -- we all completed!  Rain and wet was forgotten.

And now for the tractor pull.........  For those who don't know there is an odd meteorological condition that occurs at nearly every No Frills ride, no matter where or when it seems to follow the ride.  Its not El Nino or La Nina, but what I like to call El Slicko Muddo.  This occurence can happen with only the slightest mist at a No Frills ride, sometimes it has happened with no rain at all during out actual time at the ride.  Side effects of El Slicko Muddo include:  trucks hooked to heavy trailers loaded with insane amounts of gear at the bottom of an incline, gate at the top of said incline, one small volunteered tractor enroute to help, wet exhausted riders charging the hill at full speed in said trucks and not making it to the top, pitiful wet exhausted pit crews walking horses to top of said incline waiting for trucks.

Sound awful? Nah its great fun!  We sat at mid-hill heater blasting, hot tea in hand, watching the insanity unfold.  Actually, Jon Crandell was quite the professional, methodically pulling each rig to the top unhooking and going to the next, what a sport!  Finally it looked clear for my turn, horses left on foot for the top with another rider.  I started up the beastie truck, and drove to the top of the hill -- OK what is all the drama for?  That was NO problem.  I must confess I have a huge truck and tiny light trailer, which makes it much easier.

We had a blast during the ride and during the tractor pull.  Thanks to the hoards of volunteers, and Kate the manager, and the Crandell family who let us crash at their place for the weekend!

Jen