Re: [RC] well muscled horses and heat - rides2far

I need to know all  the tips and tricks for getting him through rides
this summer
(Michigan). This is our first year competing and I want to bring him
through it as safely as I can. Thanks.

Here's something I posted after a really hot ride and Stagg asked
permission to include it in an educational packet or something like that
so I guess it passed the vetting. :-)
Angie

First and foremost.  Do not let the core temp get extremely high! It's a
lot easier to keep it down than to *get* it down once it's up there. The
most common mistake I see people make on a hot day is letting the horse
trot up steep hills as far as they can before they drop down to the walk.
Trotting up a hill requires a lot of energy. Calories burned produce
*heat*...at the CORE not on the surface. Surface heat  (from the sun) is
a pain, but core heat is a lot harder to get back down. Using speed up a
hill does not create a breeze, whereas cantering on the flat the extra
heat at least gets the reward of a good breeze.  So, yesterday we walked
hills. We walked long gradual slopes, and when we got on the flat we
probably went faster than usual (fast canter/hand gallop?) so we could
allow ourselves plenty of time on every slope. (the trail had lots of
*very* slow sections so you had to make time where you could) If you're
riding Jayel Super maybe you can go on up the mountain fast, but if
you're on one of mine this helps. :-)

Shade. USE IT!!! A common mistake is slowing down when you're out in the
sun. I know this is different out west, but down here in the rain forest
you get 100 yards of sun, then 100 yards of patchy shade. In this
scenario, if your horse is having trouble with the heat get across that
sun as quickly as possible, then when you get to  the shade walk and let
your horse get benefit of the shade longer. If one side of the road has
shade for goodness sakes get in it!

SPONGE! Don't snap it back on your saddle, keep it on your hand. Watch
out for the puddles in the sun, some of them are literally hot this time
of year but if you'll practice you can sponge from *every* shaded puddle
on the fly. Yes, I squirt some of my water bottle on too (usually on a
hill or going across a sunny patch) but I'll bet I put a *minimum* of 5
gallons per loop on my horse yesterday sponging on the fly. 20-oz. of
water doesn't compare.

If your horse is building up heat and you get to a cool stream STAY A
WHILE. And keep putting that cool water on until the skin quits feeling
hot a few seconds later. When the core temp is way up you put water back
on and the skin is almost immediately hot again, but when you get that
core down the skin will stay cool. If you get the core down that horse
will stay cooler for awhile. (that's what we do at the check when we
sponge till the pulse comes down). If your horse is still panting,
there's another sign you're dealing with a hot core.

When you're in camp and trying to cool the horse down by putting on
water, put him in the shade anyway. If you get wet and stand in the sun,
then get wet and stand in the shade you can still feel that it's warmer
in the sun even though you're wet. Use that shade.

This should be a no-brainer, but if your horse has a long heavy mane for
goodness sakes braid it. If you're just heading out for a training ride a
quick French braid will do. I'm amazed at people who will start a 50 on a
hot humid day with a long heavy mane hanging down. If you don't like to
braid cut it off.

Go ahead and put water over their back if you're on the trail and going
to keep moving. Heck, when that water isn't chilled I don't think you can
put too much water over them even in camp. With all the water at Oconee
brought in in tanks it had all had the chance to warm up to bathwater
status.

Don't use a saddle pad that covers more surface area than necessary.

These tips are more for riding than crewing. If you're crewing you can
get into the icewater on chest & legs stuff. CT people are big on fanning
and though it looked funny to me at the time I'll guarantee that if my
horse wasn't coming down and I could grab a piece of poster board I'd get
somebody to be  fanning while I was sponging. :-)