Re: [RC] well muscled horses and heat - Jody Rogers-Buttram

Jess,

  I have a wonderful 1/2 Arab and 1/2 Paint mare, Rose.  She can do it anytime of the year...but she just won't recover as quickly as the purebreds.  Do I feel that that limits her???  Not really.  I have seen her at rides in July that was most miserable...heat index of about 115 degrees....in the South, it does get humid and the horses suffer no matter what they are.  So, as long as you don't have a cramping problem  with him, don't sweat it.  Rose has NEVER cramped, she is the most consistent completer that I have ever owned.  Solid as a rock.  And I have seen her recover at vetchecks when the purebreds didn't...and were pulled. But, like I said, she won't be the first one down, she may be the last out of a group out of the vet check, but she can make up for it on the trail big time...especially on 100's.  Go for it !!!!

PS.  Rose is 15 hans, and will weigh in at 970 most of the year.

Jody

Jessica Spoone-Raines <jspoone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Since we're on the discussion of big horses, I ride a 15.2 ish qh/arab. He has a good bit of muscle (right now he's probably around 1000 lbs) and sweats like crazy in the summer. I need to know all the tips and tricks for getting him through rides this summer (Michigan). This is our first year competing and I want to bring him through it as safely as I can. Thanks.
Jess Spoone-Raines