Re: [RC] tail rubbing - Don Huston

I have a 21yo gelding that will start rubbing the hair off the root of his tail every 4-6 months. When I see the hair start thinning I slab on a handful of Furazone (yellow water soluble anti-fungal) and rub it into the hair. A real mess. About 6 times, every other day, I add another handful and rub it into the dirt and hair. Now it looks like he's been shot in the ass with a tar gun. The great thing about Furazone is when you blast it with a hose it foams like soap and cleans like soap so after about 10 days I hose him down and the tail is perfectly clean and no more itching for a long time. I used to hose the tail more often but leaving it on the whole time works best on him.
Don Huston