Re: [RC] lease agreements - Bette Lamore

Hi Heidi and Lindak
Yes, you can get full mortality for as cheap as $200 yet I would encourage you to get it combined with full surgical and medical which runs approx $350-$400 from Accord Insurance-- that protects both you and the owner of the horse in case of colic or complications with foaling. I require that on all my leased mares and once I trusted the lessee that she had obtained the insurance --- found out later she hadn't and my mare colicked and she had her put down because she could not reach me (the ONE time (well practically only time) Mark and I went to a movie and she was on East Coast time) and she couldn't afford the surgery and the mare was suffering. It was a simple twist of the gut which could have been easily fixed with surgery, according to the autopsy -- so I lost my daughter's favorite mare and the dam of my Halynov son Riverdance --- one of his best. A HARD lesson. I now require proof and NEVER let my horses off my place now. She was a vet student and she had hauled my horses in her husband's horse transport business so I thought I could trust her --- a nightmare and she was later kicked out of vet school-- my mare was riddled with parasite tracks -- she apparently didn't worm her and that probably caused the colick --  and also killed another client's horse the same way -- she trusted her as I had. You have to protect yourself no matter how trustworthy people appear to be on the surface. My horses are like my kids (in fact, my kids have accused me of favoritism with them but then I have pointed out to them that my horses don't sass me nor take my clothes nor borrow money nor ignore me except when they want something -- the joy of teenage girls!!!)
SO if someone requires insurance when you are leasing a horse, it shows they love their horses AND are trusting you that you are going to take care of them if you take them off their place. A big trust!
Good luck
Bette
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians
Home of Bunny and 16.2h TLA Halynov
who lives on through his legacy Hal's Riverdance!
http://www.arabiansporthorse.com

"Life is not  a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --WOW-- what
a ride !! "

Lindak wrote:
Heidi,
I plan to breed lease a purebred Arab mare in June.  The owner told me she wants a $5000. insurance policy on the mare and it should cost me about $150.- $200. (I have not looked into insurance costs myself yet, so don't know if that is a correct estimate.)  I feel when a person breed-leases their mare, they can ask whatever they want.  If I don't want to pay, I don't lease.
From Linda-k
Have a horse lovin' day!!!

No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.385 / Virus Database: 268.3.5/300 - Release Date: 4/3/2006