[RC] Tip the Farrier? - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Karen Nelson knelson4299@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have , on occasion, tipped the farrier when the cost of gasoline was over the
top for all of us.
In general, I did other things:
I almost always have paid cash to my farrier- over 21 years.
I make my next appointment with the farrier before he leaves the premises.
Calling with a 1-2 day notice and wanting shoes at the drop of a hat is rude,
IMO.  He is a farrier- not the emergency room doctor.  Replacing a pulled shoe
is it's own set of problem.  I sometimes took the horse to the farrier's place.
Sometimes they dropped by on their route for that day.  We worked it out.,
The biggest thing I did was to feed my shoer after I moved to Grass Valley.
Nearest restaurant was over 6 miles away- as it is here- and it meant breaking
down the anvil, etc, and going to eat and coming back, as I have 6 horses and
that eats up most of the day.
So, I feed him and his wife, child, or whatever.  Sometimes just sandwiches
with deli type ingredients and cole slaw, potatoe salad, etc, and ice cream.
Sometimes roast turkey.
The last 2 years I was in GV, my across the street neighbors came, my neighbors
the other direction, her elderly mom, and one of the ladies who trained with
me.  We made it somewhat pot-luck, with me providing the main items.  Christmas
time we had 9 and had a great time.  By the time the farrier got done with 6
horses, it was close to 1:30 or 2 PM, and this meal became the main meal of the
day.  It was my main social event of every 6 weeks.  Lots of fun and stories.
My farrier showed up when he said, was ready to work, was sober, and was aware
of what I was doing with the horses in endurance.  He always answered my
questions and I miss him.
I have a new shoer where I am now, and he is very competant, but I do miss
Gordon.