RE: [RC] Shagy-bred horses' National Ride, - heidi

Dennis,

I think you misread my tone. I *truly* do not feel condescending in any
way. I've heard nothing but positive things about Shagyas and imagined
them to be the sort of horse that a person who was dead serious about
doing endurance would ride. I don't know how often you read ridecamp, but
in general, I think most of us have come out against the idea of a 25
mile RACE.  AERC does not even include the 25 mile distance in it's
championship series since they have come out against *racing* that
distance.  To an outsider it might seem logical to start at the shortest
distance and "move up" but a horse doesn't even *have* to learn to eat &
drink to survive 25 miles. It's too tempting for a person who really
wants to "get there first" to ignore that part of endurance training
which is a BIG part and the most important one when you're dealing with
the safety of the horse. The majority of our 25 milers are people who
treat that distance as if it were longer and do make a concentrated
effort to teach  their horses to eat and drink during competition.

Finally, I *truly* believe your horses are better than this. We have
talked a lot on this forum about how 25 miles is good for people, or
horses, who for some limiting reason find it impossible to go the full 50
miles, or for people who just want to have some fun without a lot of
suffering.  But we're not talking about animals here who are stretching
themselves to do distance and having to overcome body type...you're
talking about a breed that was BRED to go the distance...not just 25
miles, and this is their NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.  A fast horse will finish
that race in around 2 hours. Is that the sort of endurance you feel the
Shagya was bred for?

Dennis, my jaw about hit the floor when I read your post suggesting that
Angie was being condescending.   Ditto in reading Roger's post
suggesting that he was "coming out in support" as if Angie's and my
posts were NOT supportive of the Donna's posts and of the breed.

Angie IS being very supportive and complimentary of the breed--and so
was I.  The Shagyas I've seen have been very good horses, and very
capable at this sport.  I had the privilege of judging Oman at a CTR
several years ago--lovely horse.  I have my own little niche in the
equine genetic world, so am not in the market for a Shagya--but can
wholeheartedly recommend them to people looking for endurance
prospects.

What I think Angie is getting at (and I am, too) is that this is a breed
that stands right alongside the traditional Arabian as a distance horse,
and as such, deserves a far better public reputation than what it is apt
to get by showcasing a 25-mile ride as the "national championship" for
the breed.  These horses are designed to do this--and a "national
championship" shoud reflect that.

I DO appreciate the concept of the shorter ride to get the PEOPLE
involved.  But isn't there some way you can do it (as Angie suggested)
so that horses who do the longer distances are the "national champions"
and there is some other kudo for "getting started" at the shorter
distance?  Asking Shagyas to showcase as distance horses by taking them
on 25-milers is kinda like trying to showcase Doc Bar QHs by competing
against mechanical cows.

Believe me, both Angie and I know about Shagyas, and appreciate them.
It is that appreciation that has sparked our comments--not any sort of
condescencion or rudeness.  I'm sure Angie was trying to encourage, as
I was.  And it is really sad to see both her posts and mine misread in
such a fashion.  She is right--your horses are "truly" better than
this!  How much more supportive and complimentary can she be than to
suggest they go longer distances?

Heidi