Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2006 5:38 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] WEC Doping

In a message dated 3/30/2006 3:27:15 P.M. Mountain Standard Time, goearth@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
But for the offender at a World Championship to walk away with....4. No fine or suspension shall be imposed upon HH.....speaks volumes.
Hi Tom,
    You know initially, I felt the same way.
    Then, I started thinking about who actually administered the drug to the horse.
    I have no experience in the UAE, and as many know, I am no fan of the "sport" they pursue over there, but it seems to me that just about anyone could have slipped the drug to the horse at an event such as the WEC.
    Even a competitor who believed that once the horse was tested that a couple of things could be accomplished by drugging the horse...eliminating the horse from the competition/result and sullying the reputation of the rider/owner/train/team of the horse.
    So, short of actually witnessing the drug being administered by some reputable and unimpeachable person, I wonder how "the offender" could ever been truly adjudicated and penalized.
    Even in our country, in our sport, how truly "exposed" are our horses to the folks who might want to do bad things at endurance rides?
    I choose to believe that our sport is populated by wonderful, well-intentioned individuals who always pursue endurance in an above-board fashion.
    But sometimes, I just don't know.
    Okay, OFTEN I just don't know.

Frank