Re: [RC] e-lytes redux - Sisu West Ranch

Some of the discussion on this list often revolves around inexperienced people who are honestly trying to answer their concerns. They often ask questions in such a manner that implies that they feel there is little or no latitude concerning the practice in question. Feeding this frenzy, are the posts from some experienced people who are at one or the other end of the spectrum of thought on the subject. (Example the great barefoot vs. traditional steel shoes debate)

It sometimes reminds me of my Mother's reaction to Mary Jo's baby care practices. Mom learned about baby care in the height of the rigid practices era. That is: I was fed on an exact schedule, an exact prescribed amount of food, and slept also on a schedule. If feeding time came around, she would wake me to feed me. If I cried, I still had to wait until it was time to be fed. Mary Jo, on the other hand, fed our babies when they were hungry, changed them when they were wet etc.

My point is that living things can tolerate a range of most conditions. If a horse doesn't get enough calories one day there are things his body does to compensate including using some fat stores. If he gets more calories than he needs one day, his body stores some as fat. On the other hand, if the lack of calories goes on long enough, he starves to death. If the excess goes on to long he gets fat and perhaps founders. A similar thing goes on with 'lytes and water content, but over a much shorter time span. The system pretty much regulates itself to keep the horse going.

One can harm a horse by giving him more 'lytes than he can handle, one can also harm a horse by not supplying enough 'lytes for the conditions (temp, humidity, activity etc). The problem is to finding the middle ground that is somewhere between to much and not enough. I think my approach, which I have posted previously, is pretty firmly in the proper area. It doesn't totally depend upon "natural" 'lytes in feed, nor does it shove the maximum amount I can at him at every chance I get, irrespective of how much he is drinking.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875