[RC] pace for "new" horses - Jonni

Angie commenting on wanting to do a 7MPH (I assume pace over all) made me wonder what most experienced riders pick as the "pace" they want to keep for a horses first few (or more) 50 mile rides? Yes, I know it depends on terrain / footing/ weather some. Just curious.  I started my guy with a pace between 5.75 to 6MPH until they get the whole routine of taking care of themselves down. I always figure speed (if one wishes) can be added later. But I want them to assume they will be out there a long time, and I found the learn to care for themselves better. (In my experience anyway)
Jonni