Sent: Sunday, March 26, 2006 10:03 AM
Subject: [RC] Hay Cubes

Hello All!

I have a pretty serious problem and would love some input from horse folk.  We cannot find any actual hay around here.  Everyone is completely sold out, our pasture is still dirt, and I have six horses to feed.  The only option we have found is hay cubes, in 3 varieties, Alfalfa, Alfalfa-Timothy (80-20), and Alfalfa-Grain (80-20) -- from the tag, it looks like the "grain" is a bit of barley.

Until I can find some hay, is this okay to feed?

How much do I feed per horse?  Do I need to feed twice a day?  The guy at the store said 1 pound of cubes is equal to 3 pounds of hay.  Is this right?

Which is the best option to feed?

Do I need to add anything like beet pulp, grain, etc.?

Does it need to be soaked or spritzed to feed it?

Is this going to give ample nutrition to horses that are currently fending off 40-60 mph winds with snow?

Any other options or information anyone has is most welcome.

Thanks a billion.
J and six hungry Ayrabs in lovely scenic Idaho