[RC] A Long Way to the Vet Check (was: Low Tech & Elyting) - katswig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Angie said:

I can see where electrolyting on an empty stomach would be
worse...but how do ya'll keep them from being empty and how
are they supposed to replace them naturally with no forage
on the trail?

At the Death Valley ride that Barbara referred to in her post about 35
miles to the vet check, there are water stops along the way which will also
have piles of hay put out.  Additionally, even in Death Valley there is
SOME forage (after all, one of the things you see regularly at the ride is
mustangs or burros, so you know that they've gotta be eating SOMETHING that
they can actually survive on).  And yes, MY horses will eat it.

Additionally, I carry feed with me.  I usually start out with at least 5
pounds of either a commercially formulated grain supplement or some kind of
"complete" feed stuck in my back pack or fanny pack (I had one horse that
would eat out of the fanny pack if I got off and walked along in front of
him).  On some rides, we have also been knows to take along HAY (I
sometimes will bring hay pellets), some people get met at road crossings by
their crews who will have something to eat along with something to drink.

However, mostly we hope to have trained our horses to have "tanked up" the
night before.  So there is a huge quantity of material/nutrients in the
HIND GUT to draw on during the course of the ride.  What the horse manages
to get along the way is more to act as a "filler" so that the stomach isn't
empty.  What the nutritional content of that gut filler is isn't all that
relevant.

kat
Orange County, Calif.

http://mail2web.com/ .