[RC] Electrolytes/Ulcers - Chris Kaznowski

Thank you Joane, for the links to Gayle Ecker's and Susan Garlinghouse's sites. At last, the results of bona fide studies rather than anecdotal reports.

I attended the seminar at the San Antonio convention reporting the results of a test of the effects of electrolyte administration on gastric mucosa. (did not take notes, so this is from occasionally faulty memory) Point 1: in both groups, treated and untreated, ulcers were present at scoping, before any electrolyte administration in about 50% of each group, a research herd at the vet school. Point 2: after treatment, the percentage and severity of gastric mucosa ulceration was increased in the electrolyted group. Point 3: the research vet did not recommend against electrolyte protocols, since there are demonstrated benefits of doing so. We don't know the significance of this gastric mucosa ulceration (remember 50% of both groups exhibited it); we don't know whether it's transient or progressive. We do know that we can irritate the gastric mucosa with electrolytes and must keep that in mind when we devise our strategies for our ponies. The final point was that this small, I thought well done study was EXPENSIVE. So the little bits of objective knowledge that we get should be greatly appreciated. Now back to our regularly scheduled events...