[RC] Electrolyte Religion - katswig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Heidi said:

It is the religious fervor with which people approach
e-lyting that bothers me--with little or no understanding
of the physiology of what is being done.

In the past, I have not noticed a religious fervor with respect to
electrolyting but many of its proponents have historically been saying
something of the essence "it doesn't matter if you give the horse too many
electrolytes because it will just pee out the ones it doesn't need...as
long as it is well hydrated."

I am not, nor have I ever been, convinced that this is true.  This is not
only because I doubt that there are many endurance horses are sufficiently
well hydrated during competition that they can afford the fluids necessary
to pee out copious quantities of excess electrolytes so "I'll just give the
horse a bunch and let it pee out the ones it doesn't need" puts a metabolic
stress with respect to fluid levels that an endurance horse, that is
probably at least marginally dehydrated anyway, REALLY shouldn't be
subjected to if it is at all possible to avoid.

But also because providing excesses of electrolytes (especially of calcium
and magnesium, which the body doesn't automatically just "pee out") can
cause all kinds of unhappy imbalances on their own as the body tries to
figure out what to do with them.  Hypercalcimia and hypermagnesmia (i.e.
too MUCH calcium and magnesium) ARE clincial conditions that occur and
cause problems.  And many studies are being done with respect to
hyperkalemia (too much potassium) as well, both in working horses and
resting horses.

And now, with this most recent study on electrolytes and ulcers, it
suggests to me that the problem is not only that the body has to deal with
the excess electrolytes after they are absorbed from the gut, but that they
seem to be causing problems before they even get absorbed.

In my experience, the biggest problem with many of the proponents of
electrolyte supplementation is not the religious fervor that many of them
have, but rather the false doctrine of "it can't hurt to provide too much."
If anybody really wants me to, I can go back into the Ridecamp Archives and
find and quote posts of people preaching this doctrine.

kat
Orange County, Calif.

http://mail2web.com/ .