[RC] Hurt my knee - advice? - Sky Ranch

A week ago today I fell (in the dark) when I stepped in a hidden hole (snow covered), my knee twisted and I fell awkwardly.  It was very painful, and I writhed around on the ground for a minute or so before I could get brave enough to try to stand up.  Luckily, I could walk but my knee was feeling very odd.  Left leg, by the way.  I've been very, very careful with it this past week, and it definitely is better.  However, it's still a l-o-n-g way from 100%, especially with sideways motion.  It's sore to the touch on the inside next to the kneecap, it's not swollen (it never did swell), but it still hurts to move in certain ways - to the side or turning.  And, my kneecap occasionally makes slight popping sounds, not painful when it pops, from time to time when I walk on it.  Obviously, I'm walking very carefully, and staying off it as much as possible.  But I'm not sure if that's the best thing to do!

My question is -- should I stay off of it, or is it better to walk carefully and gradually keep working my knee slowly, in the movements that "hurt" -- even though it hurts?  Will that help it or hurt it?   (and yes, this is definitely horse/riding/ etc. related because I obviously can't ride or condition with my knee hurt!!)

Guess I may have to actually break down and go to the doctor (!) if this doesn't start improving, faster, soon.  I don't have health insurance so I'm avoiding that as long as I can.  (probably not the smart thing to do, I know)

Thank you for any helpful advice -
Carla Richardson
Colorado