RE: [RC] [RC] [RC] [RC] Study on electrolyte/ulcers - Juli Jakub

Thanks again Heidi,
I had the honor to have a very nice email relationship with Tom Ivers for a while before he passed on. We often argued his theories in relation to how they could or could not be applied to event horses. I, often, argued with him that his loading method works great for those horses and humans who are performing at the very topmost levels of a sport but that nothing works better for the rest than good basic nutrition...nothing fancy to mess up!! It could get animated at times, but I miss his knowledge. I know nothing and he helped me immensely. I definately did what I did with my event horses based on what everyone did....not because I always understood why I was doing it. I did and do not want to continue doing that in eventing or in endurance. Tom helped me understand how my horse is getting energy and how important it is that there is enough energy for the work being asked. If my horse crashed I would worry more about the energy factor than anything with e-lytes. I find it so interesting because I very rarely e-lyted my event horses when I was eventing high level. Occasionally they would be mixed in with the feed if we were performing in very hot, humid conditions and it seemed that the horse was not intaking enough water. Or you knew the conditions were hot and humid and you knew you had a horse that did not drink well you might e-lyte the night before and the morning of the competition. If the horse also wasn't eating well we immediately pulled from competition! So I was confused about why you would e-lyte an endurance horse if the horse is eating and drinking well on its own. Could I get some feedback on that? It seems that if your horse is intaking water and a balanced ration no e-lytes would be needed that is what I thought in the event world. Why does it seem so important to worry about e-lytes in the endurance world...is it just the distance, time, and work involved as opposed to the shorter bursts of eventing? Or are there studies that explain exactly what e-lytes do for an endurance horse that I can read? Thanks so much and sorry for my endless questions!! And I second the question of Jess...what signs in your horse would give you to think you have an e-lyte problem as opposed to an energy problem? Or is their no way to tell with out blood work at the time? Thanks again! Cheers,

<P>Juli Jakub</P>
<P>The Air of Heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears.</P>
<P>~ arabian proverb</P></DIV></html>

Much as I disagreed with Tom Ivers about substituting micromanagement of quick-acting calories for having a hindgut full of forage producing a steady supply of volatile fatty acids, he was right on the mark about the fact that horses are far more apt to get into trouble due to low energy than due to insufficient e-lytes.

Consider as well that it takes energy to MOVE e-lytes from the gut and
around into their proper compartments within the body--so when the
energy levels nosedive, the horse can't keep different e-lytes pumped
in or out of where they are supposed to be, either.  So just because
the horse "hits the wall" don't automatically think that he needs more
e-lytes!   What he PROBABLY needs is more energy.  And if you've
already got him to the point that he is not voraciously eating, you've
already ridden him past his capacity for that day, and it's time to
quit and admit to yourself that you haven't done enough homework to
ride at the level that you've been riding that day.

Heidi