RE: [RC] [RC] [RC] Study on electrolyte/ulcers - heidi

Thanks Heidi!
That is actually wonderful to hear as I am starting out. One less thing to
worry about right away!! I can just keep an eye peeled and see if my horses
need it. I was getting the impression that you HAD to e-lyte or you would
get your horse in trouble and that scared me a little!! I won't be doing
anything except training her a little, but my coming four year old drinks
like no horse I have ever seen and really takes care of herself. Loves to
eat anything, anywhere!! I hope she is one that will never really need it.
My husbands little horse is not  an aggressive drinker, although he eats
well. Maybe he might need some, but he also will probably never do much more
than slow 50's. He is not really built for long, fast distances!! So it
still may not be a problem. I am still going to research e-lytes just
because I like to know stuff, but it is comforting to know that I can
probably get through my first slow rides without worrying about e-lyting.

Much as I disagreed with Tom Ivers about substituting micromanagement of
quick-acting calories for having a hindgut full of forage producing a
steady supply of volatile fatty acids, he was right on the mark about
the fact that horses are far more apt to get into trouble due to low
energy than due to insufficient e-lytes.

Consider as well that it takes energy to MOVE e-lytes from the gut and
around into their proper compartments within the body--so when the
energy levels nosedive, the horse can't keep different e-lytes pumped
in or out of where they are supposed to be, either.  So just because
the horse "hits the wall" don't automatically think that he needs more
e-lytes!   What he PROBABLY needs is more energy.  And if you've
already got him to the point that he is not voraciously eating, you've
already ridden him past his capacity for that day, and it's time to
quit and admit to yourself that you haven't done enough homework to
ride at the level that you've been riding that day.

Heidi