RE: [RC] [RC] Horse buying woes - Tracey Lomax

I'm a bad, bad, bad horseowner.  I own four, only paid for one, and he's
the only one who came with a full vetting, including x-rays.  One came
to me having had a knee chip operation and he's got the cleanest,
soundest legs in the world (of course, he has, he's a total shit.  If he
were a NICE horse, he'd be lame).  He's sixteen.  Horse number two
arrived with a bowed tendon.  He's now eventing Pre-Novice, and jumping
1.0 m to 1.10 meters at home with scope to burn.  He will event open in
a few years.  Sound as a bell.  Horse number three came with existing
knee chips.  If they give him hassles I'll remove, if not, he'll be
buried with them.  He'll also event open, whether or not he'll do it
with the chips or after they're removed remains to be seen.

The one we paid for has been unsound most of his life.  Nothing chronic,
it's always something different.  Suffice it to say I could wrap him in
cotton wool and put him in a padded cell and he'd come out with an
injury.  I don't call him Zoolander for nothing!

They're horses : you can be as careful as you want, there ARE no
guarantees.  A friend bought an A grade with a clean bill of health and
it broke its leg in a paddock the following week.

One of our local A grade riders said it best : First time I sit on a
horse, I must want to kiss it.  Second time, I must fall in love with
it.  Third time, I must want to make love with it.  If that doesn't
happen, it must go, because we'll never be a partnership.

So IMNSHO, the only question worth answering here is : are you in love
with this horse?  If the answer's yes, then no vetting in the world is
going to stop you keeping him (trust me, I know, I have two "you must
put him down's" standing in my stables, doing bloody well jumping thank
you very much).  If you aren't in love with him, then sell him to
somebody who is.

Regards,
Tracey