From: rdcarrie@xxxxxxx
To: tref@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC]   Horse buying woes
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 11:01:11 -0500

<<If the vet was told that the horse would be used for Endurance and there is something so drastically wrong on the x-rays that there is no way the horse could be a distance horse and the vet should have picked up on it during the pre-purchase, Sheila may have some legal recourse against the vet. Dabney?>>

If no x-rays were done during the pre-purchase exam (the buyer would have had to ask for them), and if the horse did ok on the pre-purchase exam (flexion tests, etc.) then there's no way the vet could be held liable for failure to detect a problem. Also, several people have mentioned horses that had "issues" that were visible on x-rays that *should* have caused problems, but never did...the horses were perfectly sound and did fine. So if the horse did satisfactorily on the pre-purchase exam (and it must have, otherwise the buyer probably wouldn't have bought it), then something showing up later on an x-ray is hardly grounds for blaming the seller or vet.

As for the herdbound issue...she's only had the horse a week. It couldn't possibly be settled in yet. Give it some time to get comfortable, and then try again. I agree, this is not a huge "training issue" or lack of training. The horse can likely be gotten over this with a little work.

Dawn in East Texas

-----Original Message----- From: Diane Trefethen <tref@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 07:36:16 -0800 Subject: Re: [RC] Horse buying woes