From: Diane Trefethen <tref@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 07:36:16 -0800
Subject: Re: [RC] Horse buying woes

K. P. Ross wrote:
> I know the previous owner .......... and she is honest to the "T" > ............... please don't put it on this seller .......... there was > a pre-purchase vet check ............ there were zero lies told > ............. kim

Well, THIS casts a completely different light on the subject, especially the pre-purchase exam.

If the vet was told that the horse would be used for Endurance and there is something so drastically wrong on the x-rays that there is no way the horse could be a distance horse and the vet should have picked up on it during the pre-purchase, Sheila may have some legal recourse against the vet. Dabney?

As to the behavioral issues, those could be partly Sheila's inexperience... not saying she IS inexperienced, just that if she hasn't dealt much with herd-bound horses, that could seem like a bigger problem than if she had handled such horses frequently enough to know how to stop the shenanigans.  In any event, herd-bound/barn sour are hardly biggies on the bad habit list. Now biting, cow-kicking the farrier, deliberately running under low tree limbs or trying to wipe a rider off on the arena fence... THOSE are biggies.