[RC] What to take to a ride-another perspective - tracey smith

Okay, here's a different perspective of what to take to a ride.I do not have an LQ trailer, or even one with a dressing room that I can "leave packed" for a ride...yet I have gotten myself a system set up that allows me to still be able to pack and load my truck for a ride in less than 2 hours (horse and human stuff).

I have several of those rubbermaid totes (yup..cheap and simple..that's my secret) and have them set aside and pre-packed. One contains horse stuff (blankets, polo wraps, saddle saver, extra fly spray...etc).  One contains first aid stuff (still working on this one as it needs updating).  One has feed and electrolytes, horse treats and alfafa cubes for soaking.  In cold weather rides I bring pre-soaked cubes but in hot weather I only soak them as I need them so they don 't spoil.

On the human side, I have a tote with my cooking and kitchen stuff, one with miscellaneous camp stuff like flashlights, duct tape (actually there's a roll of that in the horse stuff too...love my duct tape) bungee cords and assorted stuff I deem appropriate.  Got another tub with my non-refrigerated foods.  My tent has it's own bag and I just set up another bag for my air mattresses and pump.

Sounds like a lot, but my trick to packing quick is simple.  POST RIDE before I put the totes back in the barn or garage I do an inventory of what needs to be replaced.  Anything that needs washing gets washed and put back, fixing gets fixed and put back.  That way when getting ready for a ride all I have to do is buy my perishable foods, and pack my clothes and horse feed.

I am a fanatic for lists and while I don't have one on the computer like someone said (good idea though for the future) I run down my list and that usually keeps me on track.

Of course, I was dumb enough to somehow get to the Heart of the HILLS ride last weekend in the Texas Hill Country and forget my horses breast collare!!!  What a dipstick!  Thank goodness I had a buddy who had one that fit my horse...all I could think was "what moron goes to a ride in the hill country with out a breast collar" , especially when I own at least 3 of them, I DID NOT want to have to buy another!

Anyway, rather un-scientific, but that's how I pack for a ride and so far it has worked pretty well for me.  Eventually I hope to have a trailer with and LQ or at least a dressing room, but for now it's the two horse BP and tent for me and as long as I get to go...I really don't care.

Tracey Smith and Amira