[RC] Mustang People - Ag47xAu49

This is information that a friend of mine gave me. He has been adopting and training Mustangs since he was a teenager, don't want to know how old he is now, Beccy

I would look for a horse that is aware of me and not too flighty. I look at head placement as he travels, the look in his eye as he watches me. I have found that most, if not all, have excellent endurance. If I were going to be the one on his/her back for 50 miles, I would also look at the physical characteristics that fit me, that is, my body type. Depending on where you are looking, I have found that horses out of Utah are smaller and narrow at the point of the shoulder.For endurance, they make a very comfortable ride. Wyoming horses tend to be thicker through the back, a little stockier build. For me, not as comfortable. As far as Nevada horses, depending on the area, I have found some with draft similarities, some with fine bone, and some that are very heavily boned. Really, it's a matter of what fits you and what you're comfortable with. I have trained over 30 mustangs coming form all three states and found that I enjoyed every one, and they would have all made an endurance horse if that is what I wanted. I have only ridden a handful of 50 milers and most of them were on a mule, but I ride hard in the mountains and seldom follow a trial. I test each and every horse I train in extreme mountain terrain. Short of a mule, I have yet to ride a horse better suited for this type of riding than a BLM horse.