From: rides2far@xxxxxxxx
To: SturmRanch@xxxxxxx
CC: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC]   Horse buying woes
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 08:44:40 -0500

Well, I've been a horse trader before...or maybe a better term is "horse
finder". Didn't rip people off, was more in charge of "searching" for the
right horses. I can tell you that for *you* this horse may be
worthless...but he may be just right for someone else. Time to take stock
of his positive traits. Why did you buy him? Is he pretty?  Good ground
manners? Is he fairly well behaved in a confined area?  A little
arthritis is no big deal for 90% of the people who ride. They take them
out for a walk every couple of months and if the horse is ever off the
next day they don't know it. They ride in groups, where a horse could be
hardly broke but can figure out to follow the horse ahead of him and does
great. I am absolutely dumbfounded every time I dare go ride with the
local rednecks. Their horses, occasionally bolt (what fun! a race!) they
jig (look! he's spirited!) They travel in a funky gait (I don't feel
nothing wrong) etc. and guess what? They think those horses hung the
moon.

I purchased a little Arab for my friend Bekki Crippen. The folks stood
there with a straight face knowing I was buying this horse for a disabled
person. Bekki is a pretty good rider, but about 4'10", 140 lbs. and has
sort of short arms and legs. Easy to topple. She's got some mental
disabilities that for the most part just make her really nice and sort of
soft hearted. When we got him home I went to a ride the next week and
broke my collarbone so it was weeks before I saw her riding him at home.
He had turned into a TYRANT *and* started showing some arthritis. He
rode great around the barnlot or in a ring, but was psycho on the trail.
I was sure I'd blown her money but when I put him up for sale a man came
to see him for his little girl. Before I'd sell him to him I hauled the
horse to his house and let them ride him in their arena. He was great
there. They bought him and he worked out perfectly for them.  I warned
them he was awful on the trail and not to buy him for that. Ran into him
a year later and he said the kid rides him everywhere. Go figure.

Before I gave up on this horse I'd do a few things. Try riding him in a
group with some well behaved horses. The change in atmosphere may be
responsible for his change in attitude. You may find that if you control
the situation while you put miles on him he'll be OK. Second, on the
x-ray thing. I would never right a horse off simply for questionable
x-rays. IF the horse is already showing lameness, OK. IF the horse is off
on circles or to a flex. OK maybe get x-rays to try and pinpoint the
problem. But if that horse is sound to flex and circle, toss the x-rays.
Many a great horse has sorry looking x-rays and the most consistantly
lame horse I ever competed had pretty ones. You already own him, so
you've got nothing to loose unless you feel you're in danger.

Angie