Re: [RC] Selling stuff on classifieds - Laney Humphrey

When I've sold saddles, which usually involved a fair amount of emailing/talking back and forth during which I have been able to assess the person buying, I've asked a check in advance. I then give about a week for trial. At the end of the trial period the buyer let's me know if they want to keep the saddle, if so I deposit the check. If not, I tear up the check and they send the saddle back. You're right, there is a fair amount of trust involved. If you're really leary, ask for a money order or certified check. The problem for the buyer with those is that they are hard to redeposit once issued. Another way to do it is to deposit the buyer's personal check & wait for it to clear before shipping the saddle. Then, if the buyer doesn't want the saddle, you can wait for the saddle to come home & send a check back. That's time consuming! For less expensive items, I think I'd assume good faith & ship upon receipt of payment.
Laney

Lysane Cree wrote:
Just wanted to run this by everyone because I am new to selling things in the classifieds. I was wondering if there is a general rule or practice when it comes to "make the sale" and exchange money for the item. I realize there has to be a certain amount of trust and good faith on both sides, but is it unreasonable to ask that the money be sent and received before shipping out the item? And do you generally ask for a money order or certified cheque?
Thanks,
Lysane